Monday, August 29, 2011

Procrastination......it's making me wait

Several things happen when you are writing a book, at least for me. My closet is suddenly organized. My car is clean. The pantry is miraculously converted to the Dewey decimal system for canned goods. Basically, anything to not sit down and write, including all of the tasks my wife has been (patiently) asking me to do. But that’s me: I am not a natural writer, if there is such a thing.

A new found distraction has proved to be most valuable in procrastination: creating book covers.

Being a collector of books, I have consequently become a collector of book covers. And seeing that scads of book jackets are terrible, I decided that I can do it better myself, along with wasting scads of time.

I made a cover for my current work-in-progress, which is probably not a true waste of time. It did allow me to not write for a while, but then I was again faced with the blank page. To keep the time wasting streak alive, I opted to go ahead and make covers for the sequels in my series, which have not only not been written, but have barely even been conceived.

I needed more outlets, so I did a few covers of another series (first book: not completed) that I work on when I am trying to avoid working on my work-in-progress. Still not enough! I did a cover for a manuscript that was hidden in a box in my garage (where it will stay). Finally, I did one for a screenplay I wrote and am converting to a novel (a project I dally with when I don’t want to work on Series A or Series B).

My wife wants me to change some light bulbs. Will I? You bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment