Thursday, September 1, 2011

Yesteryear.....and Queso

Felix (see, no apostrophe S)

A friend sent me a link to photos of vintage Houston, and included was a 1962 picture of our favorite Mexican food joint, Felix Mexican Restaurant (do you see an apostrophe S at the end? No. It’s Felix, not Felix’s, just Felix.) Felix, hands down, had the best queso in town. It wasn’t the noxious blend of block cheese and a can of Rotel. For years I thought it was just a....well, I didn’t know what it was, except delicioso. Every once in a while, the Houston Chronicle would print the Felix queso recipe. The recipe listed a lot of ingredients that I found difficult to believe were in that boiling cauldron of goodness in front of me. After all, the queso had a thick layer of grease on top of it, so how did they get tomatoes in there? I never saw a tomato.

I think we were in college when we got the news (typical tyrannical procedure: wait until the adherents are away to make your move): they were closing our Felix. And they did.

I don’t believe in the incubus, the succubus, vampires or werewolves, but it has been said that if you look into the eyes of the Beast (the Beast being the former Felix location), you would turn to stone. I have not turned to stone, mainly because I have NEVER looked at the building since our Felix was ungraciously evicted. I have heard rumors that it has been a dress store, furniture store and the like, but I cannot confirm it for the obvious reasons. I wish any future tenants of the building only the worst. Nothing personal.

Urban folklore states that the only cure, once foolishly turned to stone by looking at the Beast, is to have Felix queso rubbed all over you. “But, Stonewall, how can....,” I hear you ask. I admit that it is a bit of a quandary: how does one, once foolishly turned to stone, apply Felix queso to oneself? Your wife or girlfriend? Husband or boyfriend? Maybe a really, really understanding friend? We are drifting here........

The other Felix location has now closed, too, and we are left with only our grease riddled memories. So to reminisce, I did what any devout Felix parishioner would do: I waited for Mom to go out of town and made a batch of Felix queso with the kids.

Felix Queso:  Dog Approved

Like any self-respecting restaurant that has their recipes published, Felix went ahead and left out some of the key ingredients (though I am still confused by the tomato). Or they changed the proportions. Or I just messed up. It wasn't exact, but it was close. And in a world devoid of authentic Felix queso, close was good enough. (If you can believe it, my version needed more grease).


1 comment:

  1. Ahhh... You are a true believer. Mrs. Felix would be proud. - Drew

    ReplyDelete