Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Devil's Right Hand by JD Rhoades

Bueno
JD Rhoades is an attorney, which makes sense because of his initials. And someone that shares the same initials with JD Sumner (from JD Sumner and the Stamps, Elvis' background vocals in the 70's) can't be half bad from the get-go.

This is another one that I picked up for free, along with a couple more of his books. It seems that The Devil's Right Hand was originally published by St. Martin's back in 2005, and now Rhoades has the rights back and is offering it directly (good for him).

The book met my requirements as a Free Book Freeloader, and I put it in the queue (along with a few hundred others). I read the blurb, checked out his website and blog, and came away with the idea that Rhoades was a pretty affable guy.

I really enjoyed this book. Great characters, plot, dialogue, and just flat out good writing. There weren't necessarily any surprises, but the plot convergence at the end of the story came together well, and with a lot of suspense, to boot.

I'm generally loathe to compare folks to other authors, but if you like Hiaasen, Tim Dorsey or Ben Rehder, you will like The Devil's Right Hand. (This is a little more serious and suspenseful than those, though.)

I picked it up for free, but I would have paid for it. And I'll read more of his stuff. Like I say, what better rec can I give? Great job, JD. Fo' Stars.

Stonewall's Rating system here. Since this is published directly, I consider this an Indie for my purposes.
Amazon equivalent: 4.5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! And anyone with the name "Stonewall Grant" is okay by me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JD. It had a better ring to it than Zebulon.

      Delete